- Reimbursable meal menu offerings will comply with current USDA federal regulations.
- Ala carte sales will comply with Smart Snack regulations.
- Students should have at least 10 minutes to consume their meal.
- All food sold on campus, cafeteria, and non-cafeteria sales during the school day should comply with USDA federal regulations and Smart Snack regulations.
- It is encouraged that all foods and beverages provided, but not sold, to students during the school day be in accordance with Smart Snack regulation.
Food and Beverage Marketing
- Food and beverage advertising should be limited to those items that meet Smart Snack regulations.
- All existing advertising can remain in place until a need for replacement occurs.
Nutrition Education Goals
- Nutrition education will be included in the health education curriculum.
- Nutrition Services will promote nutrition education by offering a variety of healthy food options daily, implementing cafeteria nutrition promotion activities such as taste tests, and by utilizing healthy food marketing materials.
Physical Activity Goals
- All students are required to participate in one full credit of physical education.
- All students will have the option to participate in a variety of extracurricular athletic programs throughout the school year as well as various clubs that provide physical activity.
Wellness Policy Leadership
- The policy leadership team will be comprised of the High School Principal, the Child Nutrition Services Coordinator, the Health Education Instructor, and one Physical Education Instructor.
- The wellness policy will be available on the STHS Nutrition Services webpage.
- The school community is encouraged to provide input to the wellness policy.
- The wellness policy will be available as an agenda item for discussion during Sussex Tech’s annual advisory meeting night.
Assessment and Review
- Wellness leadership will conduct a policy review every three years to determine policy compliance.
The practices covered within the Sussex Tech Wellness Policy are in accordance with Delaware Department of Education guidelines for curriculum and nutrition.