Under the Every Student Succeeds Act, a parent / guardian has the right to know the following information:

  • The qualifications of the school staff providing instruction to their student.
  • Their student’s level of achievement in each state academic assessment.
  • Whether their student has been assigned to or has been taught for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher of a core academic subject who is not highly qualified.

Upon the parent’s / guardian’s request the school is to provide the following information:

  • Whether the teacher has met state qualifications and licensing criteria for the grade level and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction.
  • Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which state qualification or licensing criteria have been waived.
  • The baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any graduate certification or degree held by the teacher and the field of discipline of the certification or degree.
  • Whether the student is provided services by paraprofessionals and if so their qualifications.

The following will provide details on how parents / guardians may easily access information regarding their student’s teacher (s).

Dear Parent / Guardian:

As a parent / guardian of a student in the Sussex Technical School District you have the right to know the professional qualifications of the classroom teachers who instruct your student. Federal law allows you to ask for certain information about your student’s classroom teachers, and requires us to give you the information in a timely manner if you ask for it. Specifically, you have the right to ask for the following information about each of your student’s classroom teachers:

  • Whether the Delaware Department of Education has licensed or qualified the teacher for the grades and subjects he or she teaches.
  • Whether the Delaware Department of Education has decided that the teacher can teach in a classroom without being licensed or qualified under state regulations because of special circumstances.
  • The teacher’s college major; whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject of the degrees.
  • Whether any teachers’ aides or similar paraprofessionals provide Title I services to your child and, if they do, their qualifications.

A website has been setup for you to obtain this information at http://deeds.doe.k12.de.us . You may access this information by going to this website:

  • Click “Parents / General Public” on the left-hand side of your computer screen.
  • Click “Search” for an employed Delaware public / charter school educator. “
  • Enter the last name of your child’s teacher and click “search.”
  • Click the “profile” link after your student’s / child’s teacher’s name.
  • You will find the teacher’s certification under “credentials” and college major under “qualification.”
Send this to a friend
Hi, this may be interesting you: Right to Know! This is the link: https://www.sussexvt.org/highschool/offices-and-departments/district-office/right-to-know/