What is James H. Groves Adult High School?
James H. Groves Adult High School is a state approved adult secondary school designed to provide adults and out-of-school youth with an opportunity to complete a high school education and earn a State of Delaware High School Diploma. The school is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
What are the graduation requirements?
The Delaware State Board of Education requires a minimum of 24 credits for graduation. Credits can include 4.5 as electives and 19.5 required credits prescribed as:
- English 4 credits
- Social Studies 3 credits
- Mathematics 4 credits
- Science 3 credits
- Foreign Language 2 credits
- Health .5 credits
- Career Pathway 3 credits
- Electives 4.5 credits
Previously earned high school credits can be evaluated for transfer credit and will be applied toward graduation requirements. Students without previous credits are able to complete all graduation requirements through the Groves program.
How will I know which courses I will need?
Counselors will assist you at registration and will evaluate your educational history to determine credit needs and proper placement. Please provide an official high school transcript to expedite your registration.
Groves In School Credit Program for High School Students
Are you in danger of not graduating with your class? James H. Groves Adult High School In-School Credit classes provide flexibility for students who need additional required courses for graduation. Classes are scheduled to provide flexibility for students who:
- Need additional required courses for graduation.
- Need to work for financial reasons
- Have family obligations and responsibilities.
- Function better in smaller classes
Students must be at least 16 years old and meet minimum admission requirements in order to enroll. High School students interested in this program should contact their guidance counselor, call the Sussex Tech Adult Division office at 302-853-1838 or 302-856-9035.
How to Register
- Click here to register for the James H. Groves High School Diploma Program If you are enrolling in James H. Groves Adult High School classes, you will need to provide an official transcript of all high school credits earned to date. Prospective students ages 16-17 must also provide a letter of recommendation from their previous school.
- A counselor will contact you to enroll in classes, schedule assessments as required and design your graduation and career plan.
- Students are required to pay a $40 non-refundable materials fee in order to enroll in high school diploma classes.
How can I earn credits toward graduation?
Credits can be earned through any of the following methods:
- James H. Groves Classes
- Certificate of Educational Attainment 3 (CEA3)
- Employment or training experience
- Technical courses
- Military training
- Higher education courses
- High School courses previously completed
- Community service
Where can I find out more?